Junior Ruby on Rails Developer
Agile Consulting LLC is seeking a Junior Ruby on Rails developer to assist with a client on a subcontract basis. This individual will be responsible for implementing features and investigating defects in the Rails-based membership and certification application developed by the Scrum Alliance, Inc.
The Junior Ruby on Rails Developer will initially work from his/her own home office, but will meet regularly with the Senior developers on the project. Future needs may require this position to report to an office. This position does require occasional travel.
Our ideal candidate would be colocated with our other developers in Cincinnati, Ohio. Consideration will be given to candidates located in Denver, Colorado or Dallas, Texas.
The Junior Ruby on Rails Developer has several areas of responsibility.
- Troubleshooting defect reports from membership support in order to understand the business rules and expected behavior of the system
- Estimating the effort to correct defects or implement new features
- Maintaining automated tests and including new tests for fixed defects and added behaviors
- Participating in daily standup meetings (“scrums”)
- Contributing to sprint reviews and planning meetings
Given the fluid nature of the Scrum Alliance, this job description may not list all the duties of the job.
Education & Qualifications
The Junior Ruby on Rails Developer will need to quickly become a productive member of the team and the following experience and qualifications, or their equivalent, are expected:
- Experience with recent versions of Ruby (1.9.3 or later; 2+ preferred) and Ruby on Rails (3.2+, preferably 4+)
- A minimum of 2 years of professional development experience (college or significant amatuer experience will be considered)
- Experience with version control systems (git or other distributed system preferred)
- Ability to make iterative improvements in projects
- Experience practicing Scrum or other Agile techniques is a plus
- Strong communication, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to effectively work in a virtual team environment
- Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate should be:
- Committed to and enthusiastic about the core Scrum values: Courage, Focus, Openness, Respect, and Commitment
- Able to see both the big picture and execute on the detail
- Work productively with a diverse, virtual team
- Resourceful and time efficient
- Client-centric, seeing both staff and members as their clients
- Patient with excellent interpersonal skills
- Positive, with a “can do” attitude
How to Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with résumé, desired rate, and at least one past success story.
Submissions which do not follow the above instructions may not be considered as applications. Reference to code samples in public repositories are accepted.
Due to the high volume of résumés received, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please, NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position.